Friday, March 21, 2008

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

So it's been a while since my last update. Although I doubt that there's many people out there who actually read this on a regular basis, I figure I'll go ahead and make at least this last update here to let those of you who actually are reading this know what the skinny of the situation is. There may be more entries later on down the road, but I can't say for sure, as my attention span is rather limited, and I don't feel like committing myself to anything.

Anyway.

I got to Kuwait at the very end of the night on the 29th of February, much to everyone's joy (for tax-free pay). And that began my actual countdown of time to get back to the USA. Over the next ten days, we'd be sitting in Kuwait, listening to people ask their stupid questions, which led to other stupid questions. I saw MA1 get more heated than I'd ever seen him get, and I really didn't care at all. As far as I was concerned, we could stay in Kuwait for the rest of the time I needed to serve, doing nothing.

But alas, we were finally able to get out and do the last bit of training we needed to do, and then we were flown out a day later.

So I got here to Afghanistan on the 11th or so, and it's been relatively painless.

The people from the other branches that I work with are laid back, but man there's a lot of drama between the day and night shifts.

But I've got closure to the question of where I work and what I do.

I work at a helpdesk, doing actual IT-related work. As it's the first time in the four years I've been in the military that I'm actually doing my job, I'm actually quite shaken by the whole thing. Fortunately, the vast majority of the job is stuff I already know (reinstalling software over and over, maintaining accounts, and so on), but there's also other random issues that I have to deal with.

I've also had no further luck in the orders department. The detailer told me I'm a dirtbag because I failed two physical readiness tests (funny, I never thought my ability to run was directly related to my level of professionalism... live and learn, I guess), so my choice of duty stations is very limited, and I'm probably looking at serving my last three years in the Navy in Hawaii.

...Which I don't want to do.

But since when has the Navy cared about what I do or don't want?

One more hour of this shift left.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been a couple of weeks, no extended updates from the land of sand?